Winter is coming… that’s the way I view autumn. The summer is over, and winter is on its way. And I don’t like it.
I’m English, and I come from the north of the country in an area known as the Lake District. It’s spectacularly beautiful but very, very wet (think just really big puddles everywhere). And I seem to have spent most of my life heading south in search of the sun.
I now live in the mountains of Southern Spain, but even here, the winters can be cold and throughout November the temperatures drop daily, the nights are getting darker and the days shorter. And I miss the summer.
My writing reflects my love of summer. I have two books releasing this month, Bittersweet Magic, which came out this week, and Operation Saving Daniel, which releases later in the month. Both stories take place in July. So even my characters love the sun (well, except for the vampires, and they like lovely balmy evenings where they can lay outside counting the stars.)
So November is maybe my least favorite month of the year; there’s no chance of even an Indian summer, the long winter stretches ahead, and I’m English, so I don’t even have Thanksgiving to look forward to.
Lol- I’m sounding miserable! So to counteract my Novemberly miserableness, I’ve decided to stop thinking of what I hate about winter and make a list of all the things I like and can look forward to (and be thankful for!) Here goes:
- Log fires – yesterday we lit the first fire of the year – I love real fires; there’s something so romantic about curling up in front of the flickering flames…
- Christmas – who doesn’t love Christmas! And New Year, a chance for a brand new start.
- Snow – while I live in southern Spain, I also live at around 3300 feet above sea level – it gets cold and we do have snow and it’s beautiful. Also behind us, to the north, is Mulhacen, mainland Spain’s highest mountain. Any day now, we’ll have the first snow and that will stay right into next June/July
- Long, dark evenings and the chance to watch back-to-back seasons of my favorite TV shows, 24, West Wing, Grey’s Anatomy, Battlestar Gallactica…
- Horse riding on lovely, crisp, frosty mornings, when the air is clear and the sky is blue and I can see all the way down my mountain to the Mediterranean.
Okay, I’m out of ideas and need help – what are your favorite things about the coming cold season? Comment for a chance to win this month’s giveaway; a $10 Amazon gift E-card and a copy of the fabulous, Letters from Home, courtesy of Bethanne Strasser!