My first encounters with romance were at the age of eleven when I used to pinch my mother’s Mills and Boons and read them behind the sofa. So started my lifelong love of romance. These days my reading and writing tend to focus on anything speculative: paranormal, sci-fi, or a mixture of both. My heroes tended to be vampires, werewolves, aliens, but I still have a soft spot for my first love—contemporary category romance.
This month, book 2 in my Babysitting a Billionaire series, Out of Control, is released. Out of Control is part of Entangled Publishing’s Brazen imprint—sexy, steamy, contemporary romances.
So what do I love about category romance and why has my love affair lasted so long? Here are a few things that come to mind:
- I know what I’m going to get. Within a particularly line I can be guaranteed certain things. If I’m in the mood for sweet romance, I know which line to go for. While if I’m in the mood for an alpha male and some sizzling love scenes, then there are lines for that too. Something for every mood.
- Gorgeous heroes and exotic locations…
- While the basic stories remain the same, category romances are in fact always evolving, they’re current, and up to date, and actually constantly changing as the readers change.
- They’re short and can be read at one sitting—I love reading books in one go.
- They’re pure romance. I love most genres of books, but sometimes I just want the romance! Because of the relatively short word counts of category books, there’s no room in them for complex sub-plots, so the focus always remains on the hero and heroine’s relationship—they can be very intense.
- Every month there are new stories coming out.
- And of course—most important—I always get a happy ever after.
So what do you love best about category romance?