Thanks to a wonderful couple of house sitters, we had a great holiday back in July, but we decided last night, that we need one more holiday before the summer is over.
But we have a whole lot of animals and getting away takes a lot of planning, so we decided to have a holiday at home. Rob reckons we should start it with a trip to the airport, pretend our flight’s delayed, sit there for a few hours…just like a real holiday. I vetoed that one. But how do you make it feel like a holiday when you don’t leave home? Here’s a few ideas we’ve come up with:
- Cocktail of the day – I think we’ll start with margaritas.
- A beach day – we can actually see the Mediterranean from our house, so it’s not too far to go – about 8 miles as the crow flies (a lot further along the windy roads.) But a day on the beach is a must for a holiday. Add a nice long lunch of grilled sardines and a jug of sangria…perfection.
- An activity day – we bought ourselves a Kayak for Christmas – so we need to find some water and have a go (work off those cocktails.)
- Sightseeing – we live about two hours away from Granada and we have never been to the Alhambra. So that will be on the list for a daytrip.
- A walk – there’s a circular route around our local village that we’ve never done. So we can pack up a few beers, load up the dogs and get some exercise (work off those beers.)
- Stay up late – I admit it, most days we’re in bed by 10.30, especially in the summer when we get up with the sun. But when we’re on holiday, we stay up late. One of the reasons being a lot of Spanish restaurants don’t open until 9pm, which means we eat a lot later. So no going to bed until midnight.
- All you can eat buffet breakfast – okay maybe this one’s a no for various reasons. But maybe all-you can-drink mimosas to start the day…
- And my favourite – sit by the pool and read…all day (Rob says I will be charged for the sunbed though, otherwise it won’t feel like a holiday.)
How about you? How would you make your stay at home vacation feel more like a holiday?