I love Christmas. Like, LOVE. I love the Christmas music, surprising my kids with the best gifts evah, and spending time with my family. However, there are a lot of things about Christmas, or that have become associated with Christmas, that I detest.
5 Things I hate about Christmas Time
- Black Friday. I just don’t get it. People act like they’re going to war to get bath towels for 99 cents a piece. Or TVs for a hundred bucks. It doesn’t matter how good the deal is, these are things and if that’s your focus, you sort of missed the whole point of Christmas. Do not pass go, do not collect $200, just go back to start.
- People who complain about giving. Yes, I realize you have your own family to buy for. Aren’t you lucky? Some people have no one, or their family has to choose heat and food over gifts. So, shut up, knock some money off the probably obscenely expensive gift you were buying anyway and do something charitable.
- Stores that open on Thanksgiving so people can start spending their money early. Because the dregs of humanity that inhabit Black Friday aren’t enough (shooting people for parking spaces? trampling pregnant women?), let’s rip minimum wage worker away from their families, warn them they’ll be fired if they don’t show up, and up the corporate ante some more.
- Thanksgiving isn’t even a holiday anymore. I suppose number three shouldn’t surprise me, since Christmas merchandising starts in September now.Thanksgiving has become that day before Christmas, with some good food, before we go shopping.
- People are incredibly rude. At the time of year when people are supposed to be especially kind to one another, they are now terribly rude. They rip items from shoppers hands, steal parking spaces, and call names that you wouldn’t want to say in front of your mama.
What’s your least favorite part of the most wonderful time of the year?
I realize there’s more than a small American slant to this post, and I apologize to our international readers for excluding them. Actually, if you get to avoid these things, I’m a little envious.