I love sci-fi shows with a passion. I may have posted this before.
My family and I binge some, re-watch others. While we like space-based shows, we also enjoy anything of a sci-fi bent. Think Fringe or Stranger Things. We love Star Trek, Star Wars, Farscape, Dark Matter, Firefly, Black Mirror, and Altered Carbon (I can’t wait for more of this).
As a binge consumer of the genre, I find that I can usually predict storylines. It’s a bad habit and I try to be surprised, but Sci-fi, like romance, has it’s own tropes.
Here are few I love:
- Government Coverups – Any time the government is trying to do the wrong thing. A lot of sci-fi’s have
- Hero Amnesia – where the hero finds out he’s actually the bad guy or somehow was at fault for everything that went wrong.
- Shipwrecked – the ship crashes/breaks down/has a malfunction. These are machines and anything can happen.
- Lost In Space – while this is a show, there are multiple shows with tropes like this. From everyone being lost in space to a single human being lost.
- Alien Invasion – Battlefield Earth, even Fringe flirted with this concept for a season. It’s all about humans fighting the aliens who have taken over. A fun idea would be to twist this concept on it’s head. What if the humans invade?
- Robot Takeover – Hello, Terminator and half a dozen other Netflix films where robots have taken over the Earth.
- Body-switching – As my son would say, every great sci-fi show has a body switching episode, which could apply to a book easily.
- Time Travel – This is a blanket statement and I am not a big fan of time travel episodes on shows or sci-fi movies, but while it’s not my favorite if done well I’ll watch it. I would even read it.
What are some of your favorite sci-fi tropes, themes? Is there one that freaks you out?
What is the sci-fi show I should be watching?
Also, please keep me in your kind thoughts as I won’t get to watch Stranger Things for an extra 3 weeks after it comes out as I’ll be on vacation where there is no internet or television. Nothing hurts a sci-fi nerd more than having to wait to binge watch the next season of a show they love.